Thursday 17 May 2012

Observations on the Tube

During my commutes to and from work experience, I have found that the tube is an excellent place to observe men's jackets! Becoming somewhat obsessed by looking at the jackets around me (particularly the pockets) I have observed some interesting aspects of suits. Perhaps the most interesting is that on mass produced jackets, the jets do not match the grain, like I have been taught to do, instead the grain sits horizontal. This means that with a striped jacket, the stripes do not match and instead go in a horizontal direction, and I have found that flaps although the grain matches the rest of the jacket the stripes do not. I have also found that the upright of the welt pocket does not always follow the straight of grain as it should, perhaps because less time is taken over this than with a bespoke suit. Many suits tend to have a row of small stitching (almost like stab stitching but more obvious) around the lapel and also the CF.

I also saw a picture of Will Smith in the Metro wearing a very nice suit, and one that had clearly been made to measure, particularly as it has a ticket pocket. I really like the styling of the suit with the purple shirt and tie, as although these are also patterned, it is oddly not too much. The trousers are also turn ups, which I like and is perhaps more unusual to find.


No comments:

Post a Comment