Monday 19 March 2012

First week

Over the past week I have been busy researching, writing my learning agreement, drafting my patterns and finishing my Battle for the Winds costume. Thankfully, the latter is almost done with only the gaiters to be finished.

I feel that already I am learning much through both the pattern drafting and research. I have chiefly been looking at the work of A.A. Whife and W.D.F. Vincent, both of which provide interesting insights into the world of tailoring. Although I feel the research I have been doing is valuable, I need to go more in depth, particularly about the era of the jacket I will be making, as well as fabric research as buying fabric will be the next step. I also still need to select an image of a jacket and trousers to work from. At the moment I am considering making a lounge or dinner jacket, as the patterns for these are similar to the block my tutor has given me.

With regards to my pattern drafting, I feel I am improving and becoming quicker the more I do, and think I am developing an eye for what looks right and what does not. It is important to be as accurate as possible to ensure the jacket and trousers will fit the model well, and for the garment produced to be of a high quality.

Over the next few days I plan to:
·      Continue researching, find an appropriate image to work from
·      Finish my learning agreement and time plan
·      Finish drafting my patterns

No comments:

Post a Comment