Monday 26 March 2012

Suit Images

 I have been meaning to put up more of my research over the past week than I have - this is mainly due to trying to get my costume for Battle for the winds completely finished, as well as focusing on pattern drafting and it being the end of term. I have decided on the image (or in fact a few images) that I want to use for reference and have checked them with my tutor.

Through my research I have found many jackets of the late Victorian age have small lapels. However, I did find a new style of lounge jacket with a bigger lapel, which I prefer and which I have decided to make. I found it difficult to find an image of a full suit of this style, and initially I only had the image below.



After looking in various Victorian photo books and at paintings I still had little luck but did find this image of Matthew Arnold, a poet and critic. Although the jacket is of the slightly different style, I like the trousers he is wearing and think it would be interesting to try and find a similar fabric. Despite the jacket not being quite the style I want to make, it is interesting to look at, particularly the edging around the cuffs and lapel.


I then came across this image on the internet that is the style I prefer and of a slightly later date (1913), which could explain why I was struggling to find images of it. When I showed these images to my tutor he agreed that I could make the trousers that Matthew Arnold is wearing and the newer style of jacket. However, I do like the turn up style of trousers seen in the image below.


Since then, I have found a few more images of similar suits, which I will also use for reference. I am going fabric shopping on Wednesday and so depending on what I find, will to some extent dictate the image I will most closely follow. I think it may be easier and look nicer to buy matching jacket and trouser fabric, particularly as I am under pressure as to what I will be able to make. As I only have 3 weeks after Easter, I don't want to make it more difficult for myself by choosing a decorative/patterned fabric.





No comments:

Post a Comment