Friday 30 March 2012

Fabric Shopping Take Two

I went back to Goldhawk Road today after asking the advice of my tutor who suggested to go for the heavier tweedy fabrics as the thinner, smoother fabrics tend to be for more modern suits. With a better idea of what to look for, I first headed to the shops which I remembered finding some nice fabrics in. In Fabric House I found a dark grey/black wool with a subtle herringbone fabric of quite a good weight.



Unfortunately, as I could have predicted, there was not enough fabric on the roll. I decided to have a look in the other shops to see if I could find anything similar, but nothing was quite the same, particularly with regards to the thickness. On return to Fabric House the shop owner was extremely helpful and said he would check his stock and let me know later that day if he could find any more.

I therefore went home once again without fabric, but I feel it is important to get the fabric choice right and to get something I am happy with and want to work with. Fortunately, the shop owner has found something he says is very similar and so I am going back tomorrow to see and hopefully buy it!

Although to some extent spending this much time fabric shopping has perhaps reduced the time that could be spent researching, as I have said above I think getting the right fabric is key.

No comments:

Post a Comment