Thursday 12 April 2012

Next Stages

After having a meeting with my tutor and group, the next stage was to add inlays to the pattern and then cut out my jacket. This was fairly simple, although I had to be careful to match up the herringbone stripes, and realised that the herringbone wouldn't allow the pattern to be mirrored along the CB. I found cutting out and mark tacking much easier and quicker than with the waistcoat.

During the afternoon, I had the chance to observe a 3rd year fitting of a 1920s tailcoat and a kilt and jacket, which was very interesting. I was able to understand the key things to look for at a fitting, such as how the across back of the jacket should be smooth, the sleeve placement, as well as the length of the sleeves and trousers. Seeing the skilled work that had been put into the suits has given me something to aim towards in this project and the future if I continue with tailoring in my 3rd year.

I now need to continue to work hard to get my pockets completed in time for the next session. This will be challenging as I have to ensure the pattern matches and I have to include flaps which is something I have not done before.

No comments:

Post a Comment